Sunday, October 19, 2008

I drank the sweet tea this evening at dinner…

…and I enjoyed it – then. But now, my body is not very happy with me. It is evidently not used to caffeine any more, especially late in the day. So rather than lie in bed, I decided to come share a story from today.

There were about 40 of us on the roof of the apartment. Some were seated on mats in a circle, others in chairs behind them. There was a bit of a breeze, a pleasant change from the heat of the day. Many of those we worshipped with tonight are serving by translating stories from God’s Word into the language of their people group and then sharing the stories orally. “So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.” Romans 10:17, NKJV

The format of our worship was oral like this, and it was rather informal. But it was real. It did not require a building, a hymnbook, or certain instruments. Only our hearts were needed. Some songs we sang a capella, some were accompanied by the guitar, and the prayers were interspersed throughout. We listened to a story from the Bible, retold it, and then discussed it. I was overwhelmed with the privilege I have of knowing and worshipping the One who created me. I don’t really get it – how my worship of God brings me such peace and satisfaction. But it does. It is a feeling, but it is more than that. It is true contentment, for which I am so grateful.

I cannot experience true relationship with God without desiring that others also have the opportunity to experience it. I am so thankful for the privilege to carry this message of good news to some who have never heard and are without hope. I pray that by our witness they will be moved closer to knowing Him personally. Now *there* is motivation for learning language! This is the reason we have moved – that one day the one true God would receive the glory He is due from this part of the world.

I am praying that each of you has the contentment that comes by knowing the one who made you. Be blessed! ron

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ron -
I have been trying to keep up with your blogs - what an adventure and experience! It seems not that long ago that we co-facilitated the MBS class, and now look where you are!!
God bless you and your family! Thanks for keeping us all up-to-date on what is happening with you.
Blessings,
LInda

Cindy Blaylock said...

Ron and Chris,

We are praying for you guys! It is amazing to see His hand at work.

Love the Blaylocks

Unknown said...

Hey guys!! Love you all! You are soooo living the Life! We're going to commit as a family to reading your blogs together and praying for you each week. Chris - I just laugh and watch your kids play in the dirt. Do they still wear shoes?
Enjoy the Sonshine!
Linda