Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do...

Richmond Pictures

Here is a link to some random pictures from a little before Richmond and during Richmond.

Yesterday we had our first run in with the law - the popo for all you Madea fans. Here is what happened....Ron was dropping Zach and me off at the office so that I could do laundry. We pulled into the chaotic roundabout and I hear a whistle. Stupidly, I turned around and saw the police officer blowing his whistle and pointing in our direction. I regrettably made eye contact. Well, we kept going not quite sure what to do (was it us, or one of the other 400 cars there with us? we weren't aware of anything Ron had done wrong). He then followed us on his moto and pulled us over. He spoke in French, but every word of French evaporated from our minds. I start a nervous giggle, when Ron asked me to tell him we want to use a lifeline - our phone a friend! He said that we could call, but he took our vehicle papers and told us to meet him back at the roundabout. That was the last place we wanted to go. Our supervisor said I will meet you there - we drove back to the police officer and sat in the car. The officer never came over - we just sat and waited. Our supervisor showed up and he and Ron went to talk with the officer. Zach and I were in the car - keep in mind it has been over a 100 degrees here for the last few days. We have been in the car a while and while I was swatting flies, sweating, getting sunburned I looked back and they were having tea! Finally they walked back to the car and it was explained that Ron didn't really do anything wrong - the police officer was just going to tell him that he cut someone off, but then the officer said you disrespected me by not pulling over. Ron told him he didn't see or hear him, but he said that I know your wife heard me - the dreaded eye contact! The police offer was going to give Ron a ticket, but didn't have any there. He was bluffing by saying that we would have to go across town to get one and our supervisor called his bluff and said - "okay let's go!" The officer didn't want to go, he only really wanted to be persuaded not to go, through a personal arrangement. We don't persuade police officers if you get what I am saying. So seeing that he wasn't going to get anything - he said that he will let him off this time but wanted to instruct him on the ways of the law. Everyone parted friends and I vow to keep my eyes closed in the roundabout! That happened on the day that I had *planned* on starting to drive!

As for the lifelines, we think they start fresh every day. (Marvin and LaNette, that means your phone could ring at any time). For the rest of you, keep your eyes on the blog, though, we might poll the audience soon. We need you!

5 comments:

Shaw6pak said...

Oh that was priceless. Keep you head down and no one will get hurt. Good to "chat" with you. ~~~Kristi

lisaqshay said...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh man, that's a good one. thanks for the laughs!

Anonymous said...

Oh that must have been so stressful, but from this side of the ocean, it was hilarious.

Elizabeth B.

T and T Livesay said...

Ha :) we're laughing at you - not with you.

lisaqshay said...

hey...i told joseph this story a couple of days ago. he was cracking up! he asks me to tell people randomly...just for kicks! instead, i'm just referring people to your blog. lol!

love you guys and thanks for still making us laugh - ALL THE WAY FROM AFRICA!