Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Driving

I have posted a video of us driving yesterday - it was during the "rest" part of the day, so there is not as much traffic. I must warn you - it is a little jiggly - you might want to take a dramamine. This was taken on the main road - la grande rue. I know that we have mentioned before, but the driving here is a little crazy. Yesterday we went out by ourselves and I wish that I had taken a video of some of the other roads. The non paved roads have giant potholes, rocks sticking out of the ground, goats, dogs, motos, women with giant loads on their heads, men pushing carts and various other things that you have to dodge - all while driving a stick shift. Ron is doing a great job - he drove during rush hour yesterday and that was crazy. I am busy trying to look calm while Ron is busy trying not to hit anything. We were told no matter what the moto (moped) does, if you hit them or if they hit you - it is your fault. The car is bigger and the car owner richer. In the video I tried to show you some things on the side of the road and some people. I will try to get some more video of some of the side roads.









Here is a picture of one of the streets by the bank:



What do you get when you accidentally buy 3 kilos of bananas (which is 4 1/2 pounds), an amazing house helper named Djeneba (which is also my name) - You get a scrumptious homemade banana tart. It was so very tasty. It is still very difficult to have her do things for me. I asked her iron a few things and the shirts she produced have never been so smooth. I know that Ron was very appreciative.




I have been a little discouraged with my language progression. If only I had paid more attention in high school and college! I know that we have only been here 10 days, but I want to learn faster. I want to be effective. I was reading in 2 Corinthians 2:14-17 and it says that through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of Him - for we are the aroma of Christ....so even though I can't speak the language I can still be effective. In the land of so many smells, I can be a pleasing aroma. Our family can be a pleasing aroma - we can love them, treat them with kindness, show Christ in our actions and all of that will be the fragrance of the knowledge of Him. I have been praying that our aroma will be pleasing and not plain stinky!

3 comments:

the chapman crew said...

Wow, you think if I go buy 4 1/2 pounds of bananas someone will make me a tart? That looked delicious! Glad to hear you are adjusting and that the kids are doing so well. We miss you guys, but are so thankful for your obedience to God's calling. We love you and will continue to pray daily for you.

Blessings,
Courtenay Chapman

Anonymous said...

Hey Ron & Chris & family!

Thanks for doing such a great blog and letting us have a peak into what life is like for you. I'm going to send the link to all our church members.

May the Lord strengthen and encourage you.

--Chuck Cruise

Carole said...

You're definitely a pleasing aroma, you obeyed...just keep doing that and you might even find out you're His favorite perfume!! I pray for you guys when I see you on my refrigerator, and that's a lot!