Saturday, January 31, 2009

Random Thoughts from South Africa

Hey everyone! Ron here, in lovely Johannesburg, South Africa. Business first – thanks to all of you for your prayers. I have had positive reports so far on the kidney stones. I do have quite a few in both kidneys, but they are all small at this point. That means there will likely be no treatment, but I will try to drink LOTS of water to flush them out while they are small. I will meet with the doctor again Monday to review results of my lab work to see if there is something I can do to prevent future stones. I am hoping to be cleared to leave, change my ticket and be home by mid week. Please keep praying for Chris at home holding it all together and working on language too!

So here are some bullet point thoughts from my time here so far:
  • First – BIG bummer – I missed Jena Tager in the airport by about 2 hours when I arrived. Would have loved to give that girl a hug.
  • Second bummer, not as big and I knew it before coming -but it is still a bummer. There is NO Starbucks in Africa - not even here in Joburg. Someone in Seattle should really do something about that. Sorry to my two favorite Java Mammas, but I figure Starbucks will probably open here before you do. Mugg and Bean has been enjoyable in the meantime.
  • Being apart from family stinks. I try to let the pain of being away (much moreso the pain of my kids anticipating my leaving Sunday night) remind me of how blessed I am to love and be loved.
  • South Africa (at least Joburg) is just like America. I have definitely had some culture shock. SO MANY THINGS TO CHOOSE FROM in the Pic-n-Pay Hypermart! Unfortunately, the big city crime is here, too.
  • It is very GREEN here, and I have enjoyed the rain.
  • Kidney issues and an 8 hour flight with a window seat don’t mix all that well. I got a scolding look from the flight attendant when we stopped and I got up and raced to the bathroom. The captain had not yet turned off the seat-belt light. I apologized and assured her I would sit down. She didn’t care.
  • Do you know how much you pee in 24 hours? I do, now! Actually carried my jug around in my backpack as I wandered through the mall! Sorry, TMI – just a funny experience. I couldn’t waste the whole day in my room!
  • The mall – wow. I have never been a mall rat, but have rather enjoyed it a couple of days this week.
  • I want to drive on the “wrong” side of the road, just to say that I have! Maybe this weekend.
  • South African Airlines – bravo, what great service and even good food! If anyone is interested, they are currently having a promotion – 2 for 1 on a round trip flight from D.C. or New York to Dakar (or Joburg)! You are officially invited, and you can bring a friend!
  • McDonalds – I’m lovin’ it! Not really – I have only eaten there once, but I did have a fountain Coke Light – the best soda I have had since September. I ate at KFC once too – it was good, but not as good as it was in my head before I got there.
  • As I type this, I am drinking a TAB. I think that’s my first one since the late 80’s! I like it better than Coke Light. Shame – it’s not available in Dakar.
  • Back to Dr. Fisher, my urologist. He was very thoughtful and pointed out my layer of stomach fat in the CAT scan. That was free! I might have to do some more about that. I’m glad it wasn’t done 20 pounds ago.

1 comment:

T and T Livesay said...

How can you like Tab? It is just nasty. (Hope you feel better soon.)