Monday, December 15, 2008

Cultural Adventures








We have had a few, fun cultural experiences. First on Friday, we went to a outdoor market here with our language helper and we bought 2 chickens. They were alive and we then paid to have them become unalive! The children thought that it would be more dignified. They watched them drop them on the ground - the man then steps on the body and takes the head into his hand and he then slits its throat. The chicken flails around a little bit. They then drop into a barrel of boiling water for a few minutes. He then reaches into the water, pulls out the chicken and begins to rip the feathers out. He then cleans out the innards and cuts it into pieces. This whole process only costs about 50 cents. Not a glamorous job. I would love to say that this was the tastiest chicken we ever ate, but alas it was terribly tough! And unfortunately I did not bring my camera, which was probably a good thing, since we were the main attraction at this market - especially Faith. They love touching her hair.

The other thing was that Faith and I got our hands and feet inked. It is a long process, but it was fun to do. I like it, but as you can see the concept of "less is more" is not easily translated. Or I am guessing that since I immediately agreed to the first - and definitely exaggerated price, she would use the entire batch of ink! Once again, a new lesson learned!
Stay tuned for the last of the differences....

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Proud of you guys for digging in and living the culture. Don't know if I could watch a chicken die and then eat it. I'm thinking I like Purdue.
Love the inking. That I could do.
How long does it last?

The Millenders said...

We have been told it varies, with how much you bathe, etc. It is starting to fade in some spots, but on some spots it is still good - I am thinking around a week or so.