Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Here are some of the faces from my time yesterday in the village of N'Gor. You can picture these women and children when you pray for the people of Africa.




Look at the little girl's back - she is swaddling her stuffed animal!





This is Abby, one of the college students that live in this house - she is learning how to pour the tea. You have to pour it over and over again - the higher the better - to create a foam.



The one thing that I continue to be amazed at is the hospitality of the African people. Even though they have considerably less than I do, they are so very generous. In Wolof it is called Teranga. The main girl that I deal with would not let me leave before I had dinner - again! We told her that I wanted to be home to see the kids before they went to bed, so I couldn't eat with them. But she insisted that wouldn't work, so she worked so hard in order to have dinner done so that we could eat right after we finished teaching. Amazing. I continue to learn new phrases and just watch the culture. I am having fun with this opportunity and continue to be amazed at their love and generosity towards me.

On another note, we had our first rains last night. It was quite a storm that caused much dirt and mess. Some of the windows where we are staying leaked, so it was a lot of work to get things cleaned up. I think that we are going to be surprised at how much the power is off once we get back to our own house and have no generator!! But for now we are enjoying a break from reality.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Hey Guys,
Just spent some time catching up on your blog. Sounds like it was a great year and that your summer is pretty productive too. I love the way you are getting to interact with the ladies Chris. Your kids are getting so old. Can't believe how much they are changing. Miss you guys.