Thursday, March 18, 2010

Time in South Africa

I am here in South Africa 1 week after my operation and I am recuperating well. I arrived last Sunday, met with my doctor on Monday had an MRI on Tuesday and he operated on Wednesday. It has been a whirlwind to say the least. My doctor replaced 1 disk with a stainless steel artificial one and fused 2 disks together. I stayed in the hospital until Friday and have been recuperating since. I am still very sore, but progressing daily. I am enjoying my time here - it does not feel like Africa at all. There are malls, movie theaters, McDonalds, KFC and lots of signs in English. There are Christian bookstores too. Very weird. The nurses here are great allowing me time to do some retail therapy as well by dropping me off at the mall for a few hours to walk and shop. It is nice to be able to shop in English and not have to barter for the price. I have a follow up appointment next week and hopefully will be cleared to go home next weekend. Ron is coming on Saturday to spend the week with me and celebrate our 16th wedding anniversary. God is good and although I have some post surgical pain, the pain in my back and leg are gone. The doctor is pretty confident that I have not suffered permanent damage in my leg and is relatively sure that I won't continue to have a drop foot after a few weeks. I can notice a huge difference in my walking and only notice my foot when I get severely fatigued. All in all although I miss Ron, the kids and the dorm guys I am so glad I came and had the surgery - it has been a huge success. Thanks for all of your prayers - they mean a lot!

6 comments:

Enjoying Life Together said...

Thanks for the update! We're praying for you daily. There's nothing like "retail therapy"! :)

The Millenders said...

just make sure your "retail therapy" doesn't cost us more than the surgery! we pay 100% of that - it's not 80/20! I love you and can't wait to get there! me

Carla Mills said...

Chris, we're so thankful your surgery went well. We continue to pray for your speedy and complete recovery. Maybe you and Ron can just "window shop" to celebrate your anniversary! =) Congrats and God Bless!

Akin's said...

hey chris! it was so good to hear an update from you. im so glad you are recovering so well. we have been praying for you as well as your sweet family while you are away. i was glad to hear that ron is there now-happy anniversary sometime this week :) we missed you all so much in kenya-it just wasnt the same! now we will be praying you get cleared to go home this weekend. love you-kari

Technology for the Classroom said...

Glad to hear you had a good surgery! Enjoy South Africa! It's wonderful!!! We love it!

The Sexton Crew said...

Hope you guys are still living it up together! But hey, take it easy --you did have back surgery you know. ;-) LOVE, LOVE, LOVE you!