Thursday, March 26, 2009

15 years

Wow - hard to believe that Ron and I have been married for 15 years. Fifteen years ago today, we did not envision ourselves in Africa that is for sure!

Here is our story: In August 1992 I was living with my sister in Pikesville. We lived next door to a family that invited me to their church. I went that Sunday and then was invited by the Associate Pastor to a small group meeting. I decided to go - I was to meet someone named Kristi at her apartment. When I got there, she had brought her friend Ron. We went to the small group meeting and Ron and I clicked - we talked for a long time and agreed to get together again. We then continued to hang out, but only as friends. We built a great friendship and went out at least once a week! Everyone kept telling us that we should be dating, but we each had ruled out the other - he was younger and shorter - I was older and taller! We had tried "dating" but it was weird.

In June Ron invited me to go see "Cats." I thought it was a date, but to him - he was just taking out his good friend. But later that night while watching "Top Gun" he shared that his feelings had changed. I thought "it's about time!" We started dating, but just a month later he had decided that he wanted to not see each other so much, but that didn't last long :) and we were on again. Another month later, on August 19th (his birthday), he asked me to marry him. He was teaching at the time so we decided to get married during his break - so on March 26, 1994 we committed ourselves to God and each other before all of our friends and family!

We are so thankful to God for coordinating that meeting and for all of the others who were instrumental in our relationship. The last 15 years have been amazing - we are truly best friends and for that we are both so thankful! We are excited to see the next part of our journey and what the next 15 years hold!

1 comment:

The Sexton Crew said...

Nothing like the "need for speed" and a steamy love scene to "change" a guys feelings, eh?

Glad to see you've hung in there at least as long as Tom Cruise's acting career.

;-)