Monday, February 9, 2009

An Overdue Post

YIKES! Has it really been a week since we have posted? I (Ron) have returned safe and sound to Dakar. A quick update on me - if you want it. If not, skip to the next paragraph. No procedure was necessary for my kidney stones, I just have to LOVE drinking water more than I ever have before. The drinking isn't really the bad part - I don't mind so much. The problem is being able to find bathrooms all over town. Our friends told me today to "pee on the wall." Almost everything is walled, so anywhere there is a wall, there is a bathroom. I'm not *that* African - yet. I would appreciate your prayers for the numerous small stones I have to pass soon. The urologist said I shouldn't even know it when they pass - that sounds good to me!

Thursday and Friday were Olympics Days at school for the kids. It was great fun seeing the kids from Kindergarten through high school competing in many events. What a supportive, fun environment. Over and over again, when it was down to just two people in a certain event (for example the high jump), the two remaining were rooting for each other and cheering each other on to do their best. We lazy lumps (called parents) on the sidelines got some sun, wind, and a full-on sandblasting. Several times I wondered what a staff and parents' Olympics would look like.

HELLO to Jack Kapus (and the whole Kapus family) and Maggie Hartman. You both made our day last Friday when we were in the office and checked the mail. Thanks for taking the time to send us a card/letter. It was fun to receive some real mail! Thanks again!

That's it for now - the countdown is on for our trip to Kenya for classes. We leave a week from tomorrow (Wednesday). Wow - that unplanned trip to South Africa really changed my schedule. I can't wait to take another 8+ hour plane ride!!!

No comments: